Borders and Crossings Conference, 10-12 July 2017, Aberystwyth University.
Conference language: English
Deadline of abstracts: February 19th, 2017
Notification of acceptance: March 6th, 2017
We invite scholars with an interest in the study of travel, travel writing and tourism to the 2017 edition of the Borders and Crossings Conference series. The conference will be held in Aberystwyth, once known as the ‘Welsh Biarritz’ – a town that was shaped by travel and tourism.
Proposals for 20-minute papers and for panels of 3 speakers are sought from scholars working in all areas of travel and tourism studies, including literary studies, history, geography, art history, translation studies, anthropology, history and media studies. The event is also open to the creative arts, and we are actively seeking expressions of interests from artists, working in any medium, who would like to link their activity to the conference.
Paper proposals from any time period or geographic context are warmly welcome as are proposals from established scholars, early career researchers, graduate students and independent scholars.
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Travel writing and autobiography
- Travel writing and intertextuality
- Travel and/in translation
- The traveler and the travelee
- Travel illustration and multimedia
- The origins of tourism
- Travel and the body
- Theories of travel and of travel writing
- Narratives of pilgrimage
- New directions in travel and tourism research
- Teaching travel studies
- Travel, travel writing and/in minority languages
- Travel and tradition / traditions of travel
- Travel and ecology
- Aberystwyth, Ceredigion and Wales in the history of travels
Please send proposals of approximately 250 words for a single paper or up to 500 words for a panel proposal, complete with a short bio note and your academic affiliation to Gábor Gelléri (email@example.com), before February 19th. Please send your proposal in the text of the e-mail and not as attached file.